94% would make again
Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Soup
featured in 5 Soups To Warm Your Soul
for 6 servings
- 3 strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more for brushing onto bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 lb sweet potato (910 g)
- ¼ tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- heavy cream, optional
- cinnamon, optional
- Calories 373
- Fat 18g
- Carbs 42g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Lay 3 slices of bacon on a greased pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400°F (200°C), flip once halfway through.
- Dab off any extra oil and brush maple syrup on both sides of the bacon.
- Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes (until the bacon is crispy).
- Cut up the bacon into small pieces and set aside for garnishing the soup later.
- Melt 1 Tbsp. of butter. Add in the onion, stir, and cook on medium heat until fragrant.
- Add in the sweet potatoes, chicken broth, and spices. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes have softened. Add 2 tbsp of maple syrup and stir.
- Then blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend in batches until smooth and well-combined.
- Serve up and garnish with heavy cream (optional), the maple bacon, and a sprinkle of cinnamon (optional).