Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Soup
featured in 5 Soups To Warm Your Soul
This comforting fall soup is made with sweet potatoes, smoky bacon, and a touch of maple syrup. It's the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
May 04, 2023
92% would make again
for 6 servings
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 3 strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more for brushing onto bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 lb sweet potatoes (910 g), peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ tablespoon cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- heavy cream, for garnish
- Calories 345
- Fat 12g
- Carbs 49g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 20g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Arrange the bacon strips on the prepared baking sheet, then bake for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Blot any excess grease from the bacon with paper towels, then brush the strips on both sides with maple syrup. Return to the oven for 3-5 minutes, until crispy.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until fragrant and starting to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, chicken broth, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne. Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Add the maple syrup and stir to incorporate.
- Working in batches, transfer the soup to a standing blender (or blend directly in the pot with an immersion blender) until completely smooth.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with heavy cream, the maple bacon, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.