Mixed Green Salad With Orange Dressing
This yummy mixed green salad with orange dressing is a perfect side dish to make for a dinner party or brunch that won’t break the bank. To save money, use a snack pack of honey-roasted nuts you find in the check-out aisle to add a nice crunch. The oranges work double duty--the segments go in the salad and the juice is used in the dressing.
for 6 servings
- 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ cup olive oil (180 mL)
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 package mixed greens
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ⅓ cup red onion (50 g), thinly sliced
- ½ cup candied nuts (65 g), chopped
- Calories 383
- Fat 34g
- Carbs 17g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 3g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Segment the oranges: Cut off the tops and bottoms of the oranges so they sit flat on a cutting board. Use a knife to remove the rind of the orange, cutting carefully to remove as little flesh as possible. Use a paring knife to cut between the membranes to remove the orange segments. Transfer to a small bowl. Squeeze the juice from the scraps into a separate bowl.
- Make the dressing: Strain the orange juice into a microwave-safe liquid measuring cup to remove any pulp and seeds. You should have about ¼ cup. Add the lemon juice and sugar. Microwave for 60 seconds, until the sugar dissolves.
- Let cool, then whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the salad: Add the mixed greens to a large bowl. Add the avocado, segmented oranges, red onion, and honey-roasted nuts.
- Just before serving, pour some of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Add more dressing to taste.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.