92% would make again
Watermelon Salad With Fresh Herbs
featured in Watermelon Salads 3 Ways
This unique watermelon salad is a flavor explosion! Fresh mint, basil, and thyme are combined with juicy watermelon and punchy red onions to create a dish that is both sweet and savory. It's the perfect summer side dish.
May 05, 2023
for 6 servings
- 1 small watermelon
- 1 cup balsamic vinaigrette (240 mL)
- ½ red onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaf (10 g)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaf (10 g), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaf
- Calories 236
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 25g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 20g
- Protein 2g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the top and bottom of the watermelon to reveal the red flesh and create flat surfaces on both sides. Stand the watermelon upright, and slice off the remaining peel so only the red core remains.
- Cut the watermelon into roughly 1-inch (2-cm) cubes and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a medium pot over high heat, bring the balsamic vinegar to a boil and reduce until roughly ¼ cup (60 ml) remains and the vinegar has thickened significantly, about 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Arrange the watermelon cubes on a plate or place in a large bowl.
- Arrange the red onion, mint leaves, drops of balsamic reduction, basil, and thyme decoratively over the watermelon. Or, if using a bowl, toss the watermelon, onion, and herbs together, then drizzle with balsamic reduction.