93% would make again
Middle Eastern Pita Salad (Fattoush Salad)
featured in 5 Recipes Straight Out Of Middle East
Inspired by themediterraneandish.com
for 6 servings
- 2 small pita rounds
- ½ cup olive oil (120 mL), plus 2 tbs
- salt, to taste
- 2 medium hearts romaine lettuce
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 cups cherry tomato (400 g)
- 5 scallions
- ½ cup radish (60 g), sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups fresh parsley (80 g), chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint (40 g), chopped
- 1 ½ lemons, juiced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac, or lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- pepper, to taste
- Calories 266
- Fat 18g
- Carbs 23g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Slice the pitas in half to make 4 thin rounds. Place the pitas on a nonstick sheet pan. Brush with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, until the outside is golden brown. Let cool until they become crispy.
- Make 3 cuts lengthwise on each of the romaine hearts, remove the stems, and chop into smaller pieces. Rinse, drain, and add to a large salad bowl.
- Seed the cucumber, dice it, and add it to the salad bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and add them to the salad bowl.
- Mince the scallions and add them to the salad bowl.
- Add the radishes, bell pepper, parsley, and mint to the salad bowl and toss to combine.
- In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup (120 ml) of oil, the lemon juice, white wine vinegar, garlic, sumac, allspice, salt, and pepper and whisk until well-combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Break the crispy pitas into small pieces and add to the salad. Toss well.