88% would make again
No-Fuss Breakfast Bake
This hearty breakfast casserole is loaded with eggs, bread, cheese, and sausage, and can be prepped the night before for an easy morning meal that's sure to impress.
May 15, 2023
for 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups whole wheat bread (140 g), day-old, can use multigrain, or rye bread, cut into 1-inch (2 cm) cubes
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups fresh spinach (240 g), stems removed
- ½ lemon lemon zest
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- fine sea salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups whole milk (360 mL)
- 1 ½ teaspoons whole grain mustard
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (30 g), plus 2 tbsp, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- Calories 465
- Fat 20g
- Carbs 46g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 24g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Oil a 9x9-inch (23x23-cm) baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and add the bread cubes in a single layer.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and cook until tender and starting to turn golden, 10-15 minutes.
- In 2-3 batches, add the spinach and cook, tossing to wilt, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon zest and red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper. Cook another 30 seconds then remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180˚C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper and stir in ¼ cup (30 g) of the Parmesan.
- Add the spinach mixture into the eggs. Stir in chives.
- Transfer to the baking dish and mix gently to combine making sure the mixture is in an even layer. Top with remaining Parmesan.
- Bake until the eggs are just set and the mixture doesn’t jiggle when you gently shake the pan, 35-40 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.