One-Pot Butternut Squash Pilaf
This comforting one-pot meal is made with tender butternut squash, fluffy rice, and aromatic spices. The dish is simple to prepare and is a satisfying and flavorful vegan option for any meal of the day.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 ½ cups arborio rice (345 g)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup dry white wine (120 mL)
- 4 cups butternut squash (820 g), cubed
- 4 cups vegetable broth (945 mL)
- finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Calories 379
- Fat 7g
- Carbs 70g
- Fiber 19g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- To prep the squash, cut off both ends and poke 10-15 times with a fork. Microwave on high power for 3-4 minutes.
- Peel the skin off of the squash. It should come off easily! Once peeled, cut into 1-inch (2-cm) cubes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, heat the onion over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until semi-translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes, until starting to soften. Add the thyme and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the arborio rice and sauté until lightly toasted, then stir in the salt, pepper and white wine.
- Stir in the butternut squash and and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.