One-pot Ham & Potato Soup
featured in Fulfilling Homemade Potato Recipes
Cozy up with a bowl of this delicious one-pot ham and potato soup. Loaded with chunks of ham, tender potatoes, and flavorful herbs, it's the ultimate comfort food.
May 14, 2023
98% would make again
for 4 servings
- 2 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch (2 cm) pieces
- 1 cup onion (150 g), diced
- 1 cup carrot (120 g), diced
- 1 cup celery (225 g), diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups ham (300 g), cooked and cubed
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth (1.4 L)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups heavy cream (480 mL)
- Calories 795
- Fat 66g
- Carbs 45g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 38g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a 6-quart (5.7 liters) dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until fat is rendered out and the pieces begin to get crispy.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery, and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add flour, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes to avoid lumps.
- Add ham, potatoes, thyme, and black pepper. Stir to coat the meat and potatoes in the roux/vegetable mix.
- Add the chicken broth and bay leaves.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in cream. Return to a simmer and serve.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.