85% would make again
featured in Revamped Classic Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Whip up this warm and comforting Skillet Cornbread for a deliciously golden, crispy crust with a tender, moist center. Perfect as a side dish or a scrumptious snack, this easy-to-make recipe will have you coming back for more!
May 05, 2023
for 8 slices
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk (480 mL)
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (280 g)
- 3 cups cornmeal (450 g)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g)
- ½ cup butter (115 g), plus more for serving
- honey, for serving
- Calories 508
- Fat 20g
- Carbs 65g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 14g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Place a large cast iron skillet in the oven while it preheats.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk until well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just incorporated.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and add the butter. Once the butter melts, add the cornbread batter and spread in an even layer.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Slice and top with butter and honey.