Stir-Fry Tofu That Tastes Like Chicken
Savor the flavors of this Stir-Fry Tofu that Tastes Like Chicken, a dish that'll have you questioning if it's really tofu! With its scrumptious blend of spices and sauces, this recipe is perfect for a quick and satisfying weeknight meal.
for 3 servings
- 14 oz extra firm tofu (395 g)
- 3 tablespoons low sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlics
- ½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil (60 mL), or other neutral oil, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- Calories 326
- Fat 26g
- Carbs 11g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 13g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Drain the tofu, then wrap in a clean dish towel and place a heavy object, such as a cast iron pan, on top. Press the tofu for 20–30 minutes, until the towel is soaked through.
- Place the pressed tofu back in its container and wrap with reusable wrap. Freeze for at least 6 hours, up to overnight.
- Remove the tofu from the freezer and place in a microwave-safe bowl over a kitchen towel. Defrost in the microwave until completely thawed and the towel is soaked through, 10–15 minutes.
- Wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel and press again for another 20–30 minutes, until the dish towel is soaked through and the tofu is half its original thickness.
- While the tofu is pressing, make the marinade: In a medium bowl, whisk together the tamari, maple syrup, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and ¼ cup (60 ml) grapeseed oil.
- Tear the tofu into bite-size pieces that resemble chicken tenders or nuggets. Add the tofu to the marinade and stir to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, or up to 1 hour, stirring halfway through.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the tofu and cook for 4–5 minutes, until browned on one side, basting with some of the marinade. Flip the tofu and cook for another 4–5 minutes, until browned on the other side.
- Serve the tofu as desired.
- Nutrition Calories: 338 Fat: 27 grams Carbs: 12 grams Protein: 15 grams Fiber: 1 grams Sugar: 9 grams
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.