Stuffed with a garlicky spinach-ricotta-Parmesan mixture, dressed with bright marinara sauce, topped with mozzarella cheese, and baked to golden, melty perfection, these shells are worth staying in for.
for 8 servings
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for boiling
- 1 package jumbo shell
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach (160 g), packed
- 1 container ricotta cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (125 g)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups marinara sauce (720 g), divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (100 g)
- fresh basil leaf, for garnish
- Calories 626
- Fat 33g
- Carbs 46g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 36g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the jumbo shells and cook according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain the jumbo shells through a colander.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the garlic and stir until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted down, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and let the spinach cool to room temperature, then roughly chop on a cutting board.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta and egg. Add the chopped spinach, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, the black pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir to combine.
- Fill the jumbo shells with the ricotta mixture.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Spread 2 cups of marinara on the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange the stuffed shells in a single layer over the marinara sauce. Spread the remaining 1 cup of marinara over the shells and top with the mozzarella.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover the pan and continue baking until the cheese has melted and is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the basil and serve immediately.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.