94% would make again
Sweet Potato Chickpea BBQ Veggie Burgers
featured in Veggie Burgers 4 Ways
Inspired by thevegan8.com
for 5 servings
- 15 oz chickpeas (425 g), 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet potato, medium-sized, cooked
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce (70 g), recipe below
- ¼ cup cornmeal (35 g)
- ¼ cup scallions (25 g), chopped
- 6 oz tomato paste (170 g)
- ¼ cup water (60 mL)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Calories 274
- Fat 2g
- Carbs 54g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 19g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- In a large bowl, microwave chickpeas for 1 minute, or until softened.
- Peel the cooked sweet potato, and add it to the bowl of chickpeas, along with the garlic, chili powder, and salt. Mash until chickpeas are finely mashed. Add cornmeal and scallions, and set aside.
- For the barbecue sauce: In a medium-size bowl, combine tomato paste, water, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add barbecue sauce to the mashed chickpea mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Using a ½ cup (120 ml) measuring cup, portion 5 patties from the mixture. Place onto a lightly greased parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until firm and browned, flipping over halfway through.
- Serve with the remaining barbecue sauce and favorite fixins.