"Chicken” Made With Jackfruit
This popcorn chicken recipe is perfect for someone that is vegan and misses that juicy, crunchy burst of flavor they get from popcorn chicken OR someone who is trying to eat more plant based and doesn’t want to give up what they love.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 4 servings
- 3 cups warm water (720 mL)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 cans jackfruit, 15 ounce (425 G) cans
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 2 cups canola oil (480 mL), for frying
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (240 mL)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour (185 g), divided
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a medium bowl, combine the warm water and bouillon cube and whisk to dissolve the bouillon.
- Drain the jackfruit and rinse under cold water. Remove any seed pods and discard. Add the jackfruit to the bowl and marinate for 30 minutes. This will help remove some of the briny flavor from the canned jackfruit. After marinating, drain and set the jackfruit aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, smoked paprika, cayenne, black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the jackfruit and 1 tablespoon of the spice blend, tossing well to coat.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15–18 minutes, until the jackfruit has partially dried out.
- Heat the canola oil in a large, high-walled skillet over medium-high heat to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, ½ cup (65 G) flour, the remaining teaspoon of salt, and the baking soda..
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the remaining cup of flour, the cornstarch, and remaining spice blend. Stir well.
- Coat the jackfruit in the batter, letting any excess drip off. Then, coat in the flour mixture.
- Working in batches, fry the coated jackfruit in the hot oil until golden brown, 2–3 minutes, flipping halfway and frying for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and season with more salt if desired.
- Serve hot.
- Ready for a smarter way to find recipes? Use Botatouille, our AI-powered food genius in the Tasty app. Download here