90% would make again
The Best Ever Vegan Brownies
featured in Top Vegan-Friendly Desserts of 2018
Inspired by tasty.co
for 9 servings
- 8 oz vegan chocolate (225 g)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup sugar (200 g), plus 2 tablespoons
- ½ cup vegan butter (115 g), melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (95 g), plus 2 tablespoons
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (30 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Calories 362
- Fat 23g
- Carbs 38g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 23g
- Protein 3g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Chop the chocolate into ½-inch (1 ¼ cm) pieces. Set aside half and melt the other half in a microwave-safe bowl for 45 seconds.
- Make the flax egg: combine the ground flaxseeds with the water in a small bowl and mix with a fork. Set aside for at least 10 minutes to gel.
- In a medium bowl, add the sugar and vegan butter and whisk until smooth. Then add the vanilla, flax eggs, and melted chocolate and whisk until well-combined.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and fold with a spatula until all ingredients are combined. Be careful not to overmix. Then, stir in the reserved chocolate pieces.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Slice into 9 equal-sized pieces and serve.