featured in Everything You Can Do With Tofu
Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, these Tofu Tenders are a delightful twist on the classic chicken tenders. Perfect for dipping, they'll have you saying "yum-o" in no time!
May 04, 2023
90% would make again
for 2 servings
- nonstick cooking spray
- 14 oz extra firm tofu (395 g), 1 block, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste, divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (60 g)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup milk (120 mL), of choice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ cup bread crumbs (55 g)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- olive oil, for brushing
- honey mustard dipping sauce, for serving
- Calories 667
- Fat 28g
- Carbs 73g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 33g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Grease a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Wrap the tofu in a clean dish towel and place a heavy object, such as a cast-iron skillet, on top. Press the tofu for 20 minutes to remove excess liquid.
- Flip the tofu block on its side and slice in half lengthwise. Season all over with salt and pepper.
- Cut each piece of tofu lengthwise into quarters so you have 8 equally-sized pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and cornstarch. Mix with a fork.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the milk, apple cider vinegar, and Dijon mustard. Whisk with a fork until combined.
- In another medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, nutritional yeast, cumin, and cayenne. Mix with a fork until combined.
- Take a piece of tofu and coat it in the flour mixture, followed by the milk mixture, then back into the flour mixture, back into the milk mixture, and finally, in the bread crumbs.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining tofu sticks.
- Using a brush, coat each tender with an even layer of olive oil.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and crispy. Brush with more olive oil, if necessary.
- Serve with honey mustard dipping sauce.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.