98% would make again
Tom Yum Soup
featured in Immunity-Boosting Foods
Inspired by evergreenkitchen.ca
for 4 servings
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 thai red chili peppers, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon galangal, minced
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 5 cups vegetable broth (1.2 L)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 5 lime leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk (240 mL)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 7 oz extra firm tofu (200 g), cubed
- 6 oz cremini mushroom (165 g), sliced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave
- salt, to taste
- fresh cilantro leaf, for garnish
- Calories 1235
- Fat 95g
- Carbs 76g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 24g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Trim off the top third and very bottom of the lemongrass stalks. Using the side of a knife, press down across the stalks to bruise the lemongrass and release the oils. Chop each stalk into 4 pieces and set aside.
- Add the chili peppers, garlic, and galangal to a mortar and pestle and grind into a paste. Set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the lemongrass and cook for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant. Add the chili pepper paste and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomato, lime leaves, coconut milk, and soy sauce and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, until broth has reduced slightly.
- Add the tofu and mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the lime juice and agave and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.