Tom Yum Soup
Tom yum is a classic Thai-style hot and sour soup. The word “tom” refers to the boiling process, while “yum” translates to “mixed.” Flavored with lemongrass, Thai red chiles, garlic, galangal, lime leaves, soy sauce, cremini mushrooms, lime juice, and cilantro, it is complex, yet comforting. Coconut milk provides richness and a silky mouthfeel, while cubed extra-firm tofu adds body. Control the spice, salt, and acid levels by adjusting the amount of Thai chiles, soy sauce, and lime juice to your taste.
for 4 servings
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 thai red chili peppers, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon galangal, minced
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 5 cups vegetable broth (1.2 L)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 5 lime leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk (240 mL)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 7 oz extra firm tofu (200 g), cubed
- 6 oz cremini mushroom (165 g), sliced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave
- salt, to taste
- fresh cilantro leaf, for garnish
- Calories 1235
- Fat 95g
- Carbs 76g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 24g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Trim off the top third and very bottom of the lemongrass stalks. Using the side of a knife, press down across the stalks to bruise the lemongrass and release the oils. Chop each stalk into 4 pieces and set aside.
- Add the chili peppers, garlic, and galangal to a mortar and pestle and grind into a paste. Set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the lemongrass and cook for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant. Add the chili pepper paste and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomato, lime leaves, coconut milk, and soy sauce and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, until broth has reduced slightly.
- Add the tofu and mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the lime juice and agave and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.