for 6 servings
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (310 g), plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup vegan butter (225 g), cubed and chilled
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 7 granny smith apples
- 2 cups organic sugar (400 g), plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 lemon, zested
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted, plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- Calories 889
- Fat 37g
- Carbs 138g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 81g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the crust: In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add the cubed butter, a bit at a time, and use a fork to work it into the flour with a fork until it breaks down to dime-sized pieces.
- Gradually add the ice water and mix just until the dough can be pressed together.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Make the filling: Peel and core apples, then thinly slice. Transfer to a large bowl and add 2 cups (200 G) of sugar, the lemon zest, cornstarch, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil, salt, and 3 teaspoons cinnamon. Toss until the apples are well-coated. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out both of the discs of dough to about 1 inch (2 cm) thick. Transfer one round to a greased 8-inch (20-cm) pie dish and gently press against the bottom and sides. Trim the excess dough around the edges, then prick the bottom of the pie crust all over with a fork
- Pour the apples into the bottom crust and cover with the top crust. Trim the excess dough around the edges, then crimp the top and bottom crusts together with a fork. Brush the top of the crust with the remaining tablespoon of melted coconut oil and sprinkle with the remaining teaspoon of sugar and cinnamon. Cut 4 vents in the top crust
- Bake for 1 hour, until crust is starting to turn golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.