Vegan Crab Cakes
featured in 5 Meatless Recipes That Taste Delicious
These vegan crab cakes are a great alternative to the classic! Made with hearts of palm and chickpeas, they're crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
May 04, 2023
91% would make again
for 6 servings
- 15 oz chickpeas (425 g), drained and rinsed, 1 can
- 15 oz hearts of palm (425 g), drained, rinsed and cut into large chunks, 1 can
- 15 oz artichoke heart (425 g), drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs (75 g), divided
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise (170 g), divided
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon old bay seasoning
- oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- fresh dill, to serve
- Calories 504
- Fat 31g
- Carbs 43g
- Fiber 11g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add chickpeas, hearts of palm, and artichoke hearts to food processor. Pulse until mixture is chopped, yet still slightly chunky.
- Transfer mixture to large mixing bowl and add 1 cup (50 g) of bread crumbs, ¼ cup (55 g) vegan mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. Mix well.
- Form the mixture into 6 1-inch (2 cm) thick patties.
- Dip each patty in remaining bread crumbs.
- Heat a pan of oil to 350˚F (180˚C). Fry each patty for 3-6 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- For tartar sauce, combine remaining vegan mayo, relish, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in mixing bowl.
- Top the patties with tartar sauce, dill, and lemon juice.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.