93% would make again
Vegan Mushroom “Cheesesteak” Sandwich
featured in 8 Incredible Meatless Sandwiches
Under 30 minutes
Inspired by lordbyronskitchen.com
Under 30 minutes
for 2 servings
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, sliced into long strips
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter
- 10 oz oyster mushroom (285 g)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ¼ teaspoons onion powder, divided
- 1 ¼ teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire
- 1 carrot, cooked, peeled, and cut into large chunks
- 1 cup vegetable broth (240 mL), or more depending on consistency wanted
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (10 g)
- ½ teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 large potato, cooked, peeled, and cut into large chunks
- 2 large hoagie rolls
- fresh parsley, for garnish, optional
- Calories 1071
- Fat 71g
- Carbs 91g
- Fiber 11g
- Sugar 19g
- Protein 16g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for about 3 minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the green pepper. Stir and sauté for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Transfer the sautéed vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the vegan butter in the pan.
- Add the mushrooms and stir to coat in the butter.
- Add the paprika, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir well. Sauté for about 7 minutes until the mushrooms are dark brown and reduce in size by half.
- Add the green pepper, onion, and garlic mixture back to the pan and stir.
- Add the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well. Continue to sauté for about 7 minutes until the liquid has thickened.
- In the meantime, place the carrot, vegetable broth, remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, remaining teaspoon of onion powder, remaining teaspoon of garlic powder, the tomato paste, remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon of pepper in a food processor. Blend until it forms a smooth and homogenous sauce.
- Add the potato and blend until homogenous.
- Fill the hoagies with the mushroom mixture.
- Top the mushroom mixture with the vegan “cheese”, and parsley. Serve immediately.