Vegan Pulled Jackfruit
featured in 4 BBQ Recipes For Your Vegetarian Friends
This vegan pulled jackfruit is a meatless alternative that's packed with flavor and texture. Tossed in a tangy BBQ sauce and piled high on a soft bun, it's a tasty and satisfying sandwich.
May 14, 2023
93% would make again
for 4 servings
- 20 oz young green jackfruit (565 g), 2 cans, in brine or water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock (240 mL)
- ¾ cup vegan bbq sauce (215 g)
- red onion, sliced, to serve
- tomato, sliced, to serve
- lettuce, to serve
- 4 buns burger bun, to serve
- Calories 695
- Fat 22g
- Carbs 112g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 29g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit, then cut the jackfruit into smaller pieces, removing the core.
- Add the olive oil, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper to a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté until the onions are tender and become translucent.
- Add the jackfruit, chili powder, paprika, cumin, liquid smoke, salt, pepper, and liquid smoke, and stir.
- Add the vegetable stock, cover, and cook another 10-15 minutes, until the jackfruit is soft enough that it can be mashed.
- Mash the jackfruit with potato masher or a couple of forks, until it looks pulled or shredded.
- Spread an even layer of pulled jackfruit across a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour over the vegan BBQ sauce and stir to combine.
- Place back in the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Build your burger, top with dressings of your choice.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.