for 4 servings
- 20 oz jackfruit (565 g), 2 cans, in brine or water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock (240 mL)
- ¾ cup vegan bbq sauce (215 g)
- tortilla, to serve
- Calories 472
- Fat 19g
- Carbs 72g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 23g
- Protein 1g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Drain and rinse jackfruit, then cut jackfruit into smaller pieces, removing the core.
- Add olive oil, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper to a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté until onions are tender and become translucent.
- Add jackfruit, chili powder, paprika, cumin, liquid smoke, salt, pepper, and liquid smoke, and stir.
- Add vegetable stock, cover, and cook another 10-15 minutes, until jackfruit is soft enough that it can be mashed.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Mash jackfruit with potato masher or a couple of forks, until it looks pulled or shredded.
- Spread an even layer of pulled jackfruit across a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour on vegan BBQ sauce. Stir to combine.
- Place back in oven for 10 more minutes.
- Serve on warm tortillas with desired taco toppings.
- Ready for a smarter way to find recipes? Use Botatouille, our AI-powered food genius in the Tasty app. Download here