91% would make again
Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes With Rainbow Sprinkle Frosting
featured in Vegan Cupcakes 4 Ways
June 10, 2019
for 10 cupcakes
- ¾ cup organic granulated sugar (150 g)
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil (50 g), solid
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (220 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce (85 g)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (120 mL)
- 1 ½ cups vegan butter (345 g), 3 sticks
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar (240 g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles (55 g)
- Calories 452
- Fat 26g
- Carbs 52g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 40g
- Protein 1g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease 10 cups of a muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together the granulated sugar and coconut oil with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, applesauce, and almond milk, and stir with a rubber spatula until well combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin cups about ¾ of the way.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean
- Make the frosting: In a large bowl, cream the vegan butter with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Sift in half the powdered sugar and beat to combine. Sift in the rest of the powdered sugar and the vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Fold in the sprinkles with a rubber spatula.
- Place a large zip-top bag in a tall glass. Scoop a good amount of frosting into the bag. Squeeze all of the frosting into a corner of the bag, then snip off that corner.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes in a spiral pattern