94% would make again
Veggie Stuffed Steak Roll
featured in Dinner Roll-Ups 4 Ways
for 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus more for searing
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ white onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb flank steak (910 g), flattened as much as possible
- 1 ½ cups spinach (60 g)
- ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (35 g)
- long toothpick, or short skewers
- Calories 349
- Fat 16g
- Carbs 4g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 44g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat the oil in an oven-proof skillet. Toss in the bell peppers, onions, salt, pepper, and garlic, and sauté until the veggies have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Season the flank steak on both sides with a good pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle on the spinach in an even layer and top with the sautéed peppers.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the veggies and tightly wrap the steak into a roll.
- Skewer the steak with toothpicks about 1½ inches (4 cm) apart so that the steak will hold its shape.
- Slice between the toothpicks to create individual steak rolls.
- Heat a few more tablespoons of oil in the skillet. When the oil has begun to smoke slightly, sear the steak rolls until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
- NOTE: To bake the entire steak roll at one time, simply sear each steak roll in a large skillet and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Once each roll has been seared and transferred to the baking sheet, proceed with steps 10-12.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until it has reached desired level of doneness.
- Let the steak rest for 5 minutes before removing toothpicks.