Watermelon "Poke" Bowl
This colorful dish is perfect for summertime. The sweet and juicy watermelon is paired with savory seaweed, crunchy cucumber, and creamy avocado, all served over a bed of rice. It's a fun, delicious, and vegan way to enjoy the classic Hawaiian dish.
for 4 servings
- 1 mini watermelon, sliced
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 medium cucumber
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- white rice, cooked, for serving
- avocado, sliced, for serving
- shelled edamame, for serving
- nori sheet, for serving
- pickled ginger, for serving
- fresh cilantro, for serving
- peanut, crushed, for serving
- black sesame seed, for garnish, optional
- Calories 414
- Fat 23g
- Carbs 50g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 36g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Using a sharp knife, cut around the watermelon slices rind to remove, then dice into 1-inch (2 cm) cubes.
- Transfer 4 cups (600 g) to a medium bowl, reserving the rest for another use.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, lime juice, agave, scallions, ginger, white sesame seeds, and chile flakes. Mix well.
- Pour the marinade over the watermelon cubes and stir. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Slice the cucumber into thin half moons and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo and Sriracha.
- To assemble the poke bowls, start with rice as a base and top with cucumbers, avocado, edamame, nori, pickled ginger, Sriracha mayo, cilantro, and crushed peanuts.
- Add a scoop of the marinated watermelon and use the marinade as a dressing to drizzle over the bowl.
- Garnish with black sesame seeds, if desired.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.