84% would make again
Cheesy Camping Hot Dogs
featured in Tasty's Best Dinners Of 2020
For a classic outdoor snack with a handheld twist, these hot dogs will make any camper happy!
July 16, 2019
for 6 servings
- 6 hot dogs
- 3 sticks string cheese, cut or peeled into thin strips
- 1 can pizza dough, cut length wise into 6 1 in (2 1/2 cm) wide strips
- ½ cup ketchup (120 g)
- ½ cup mustard (120 g)
- ½ cup relish (50 g)
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- 6 wooden skewers, 12 in (30 cm)
- Calories 473
- Fat 24g
- Carbs 49g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 14g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Insert a skewer into a hot dog. Cut a spiral by holding your knife at a diagonal to the top of the hot dog and rolling it down along a cutting board until you reach the bottom.
- Wind a strip of cheese into the spiral groove on the hot dog. You may need 2 strips of cheese to fill the entire spiral.
- Lay a strip of pizza dough on a cutting board and place the end of the hot dog skewer on a diagonal. Gently roll the hot dog in the dough, ensuring that the dough overlaps so no cheese leaks through. Gently remove the skewer and loosely wrap the hot dog in a sheet of foil so the dough has room to expand as it cooks. Repeat with the remaining hot dogs and dough.
- Place the hot dogs over low heat on a campfire or grill. Let them cook for 10 minutes, check to see that the dough has puffed, then flip over to cook through, about 10 minutes more.
- Let the hot dogs cool for a few minutes before carefully unwrapping, then serve with ketchup, mustard, relish, and onion.