Chocolate Banana French Toast Breakfast Bake
This chocolate banana breakfast bake is so addicting, you’ll have a hard time sharing it. The caramel combined with the banana custard and brioche bread makes for a rich and perfectly gooey bite that’ll have you coming back for more.
for 12 servings
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk (240 mL)
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 mL)
- ¾ cup sugar (150 g)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 12 cups brioche bread (420 g), 1 loaf (day old bread)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (175 g)
- ¼ cup pecan (30 g), chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 stick
- 1 cup brown sugar (220 g)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pecan, chopped
- 3 bananas, halved lengthwise and crosswise
- Calories 702
- Fat 34g
- Carbs 88g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 42g
- Protein 13g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Make the banana custard: In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the eggs, milk, and heavy cream and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla and mix with a fork.
- Add the sugar mixture to the custard mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the cubed bread, chocolate chips, and pecans to the custard mixture and toss well to coat. Let soak for 10 minutes.
- While the bread is soaking, make the caramel base: In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave the butter for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and hot.
- Add the brown sugar and stir to combine. Microwave for another minute, stirring halfway, until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Add the salt, vanilla, and pecans and stir to combine.
- Pour the caramel into the bottom of a 9 (22 cm) x 13-inch (33 cm) baking dish and spread evenly. Arrange the bananas, cut side down, over the caramel.
- Spoon the brioche-custard mixture evenly over the bananas.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 40-45 minutes longer, until the custard is set. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges of the baking dish to loosen the bake, then invert onto a rectangular serving dish. Do not wait any longer than 5 minutes or the bake will stick to the pan.
- Slice and serve.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.