89% would make again
Cookies ‘N’ Cream Icebox Cake
Inspired by simplebites.net
for 12 servings
- 1 cup unsalted butter (230 g), softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar (300 g)
- ½ cup brown sugar (110 g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (375 g)
- 1 cup dark cocoa powder (120 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups heavy cream (960 mL)
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk (300 g), chilled
- Calories 725
- Fat 53g
- Carbs 62g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 31g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with an electric hand mixer.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Beat until combined.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Place a portion of dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll out into a circle that is about 11 inches (27 cm) wide. Using a 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan as your guide, cut a 10-inch (25 cm) circle out of the dough.
- Use a 3-inch (8-cm) ramekin as a guide to cut out the center, leaving a doughnut-shaped cookie. Reserve the dough scraps and transfer the cookie on the parchment paper to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough portions.
- Chill the cookie dough in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Bake the cookies (in batches, if necessary) for 12-14 minutes, until crisp around the edges. Let cool completely.
- Reroll the dough scraps and use a cookie cutter to cut out 24 1½-inch-wide (4-cm) cookies. Transfer the cookies to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 7 minutes, until crisp. Let cool completely.
- Make the whipped cream: Add the heavy cream to a large bowl. With an electric hand mixer, whip the cream until soft peaks form, then add the sweetened condensed milk. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a piping bag or zip-top bag fitted with a large round tip.
- Carefully place one of the large cookies on a serving platter. Pipe a layer of whipped cream on top of the cookie. Repeat with the remaining cookies and whipped cream, finishing with a layer of cream. Reserve any leftover whipped cream for sandwich cookie garnish.
- Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- After the cake has chilled, make sandwich cookies for decoration. Pipe a dollop of whipped cream onto a small cookie and sandwich with another cookie. Make 9 more cookie sandwiches. Place the remaining cookies in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to smash into crumbs.
- Arrange the sandwich cookies evenly around the top edge of the cake. Sprinkle the cookie crumbs over the exposed whipped cream.
- Slice and serve.