97% would make again
Creamy And Decadent Mashed Potatoes
featured in Mashed Potatoes Your Way
for 10 servings
- 5 lb russet potato (2 ¼ kg), peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 3 cups heavy cream (720 mL)
- 3 cups whole milk (720 mL)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Calories 529
- Fat 37g
- Carbs 51g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the potatoes, bay leaves, garlic, rosemary, and thyme to a large pot. Pour in the cream and milk, bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, reserving the cooking liquid, and discard the herbs and garlic. Press the potatoes through a potato ricer into a large bowl.
- Add about 1½ cups of the reserved cooking liquid to the potatoes and stir until creamy. Add the butter, salt, and pepper, and stir to incorporate.
- Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.
- Note: You can save any extra cooking liquid and use it to rehydrate leftover mashed potatoes the next day.