68% would make again
Crème Brûlée Cookies
These elegant and sophisticated cookies are a perfect dessert for any occasion. Featuring a buttery shortbread base and a creamy custard filling, topped with a crispy caramelized sugar coating, they're sure to impress.
May 05, 2023
for 6 servings
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar (400 g), divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups milk (360 mL)
- ½ cup unsalted butter (115 g), 1 stick, softened
- 1 large egg
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour (435 g)
- Calories 669
- Fat 20g
- Carbs 106g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 49g
- Protein 13g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, whisk the yolks and ½ cup (100 g) of sugar until pale in color.
- Add the cornstarch and vanilla extract, and whisk well. Add the milk and whisk until fully combined.
- Loosely cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 4-6 minutes, whisking every 1-2 minutes, until the mixture becomes a thick custard.
- Re-cover with plastic wrap and chill for about 2 hours.
- In a medium bowl, cream the softened butter and ½ cup (100 g) of sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour and mix until the dough is crumbly, but holds together when squeezed.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Once chilled, roll out the dough between two layers of parchment paper until it is ¼-inch (6 mm) thick.
- Cut out 6 2-inch (5 cm) diameter rounds of dough. Remove the excess dough and transfer the rings to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Re-roll the leftover cookie dough to the ¼-inch (6 mm) thickness. Cut out 6 more 2-inch (5 cm) rounds, then cut a 1½-inch (4 cm) ring inside the 2-inch (5 cm) rounds. Transfer the whole rounds to the baking sheet, then remove the inner circles.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, until pale and just barely cooked. Let sit at room temperature to cool for 30 minutes.
- Once the cookies are cool, transfer the chilled custard to a piping bag. Pipe the custard onto the circle-shaped cookies completely covering the surface.
- Place the ring-shaped cookies on top of the custard-topped cookies and press down gently to adhere.
- Add the remaining cup of sugar to a small pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar melts and begins to caramelize. Make sure there are no lumps of sugar.
- While the caramel is still hot, pour about 2 tablespoons over each cookie to fill the ring on top. Let the cookies cool completely.