96% would make again
Dairy-Free Green Bean Casserole
featured in Dairy-Free Holiday Sides
October 10, 2019
for 6 servings
- 4 cups green beans (1.4 kg), trimmed and halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 12 oz mushroom (340 g), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (480 mL)
- 1 ¼ cups fried onion (180 g), divided
- Calories 281
- Fat 17g
- Carbs 27g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil, then place a strainer over the top. Add the green beans to the strainer, cover, and steam for 10-15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion. Cook for 2 minutes, or until semi-translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5-6 minutes, until they have released the majority of their juices. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the garlic, and soy sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the flour to make a roux, then season with salt and pepper.
- While stirring continuously, pour in the non-dairy milk and bring to a boil. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the green beans and ½ cup (75 g) of the fried onions, until combined. Transfer to a medium baking dish and sprinkle on the remaining cup of fried onions.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbling.
- Serve warm.