91% would make again
featured in Meatless Meatballs 4 Ways
Inspired by theresacookinmykitchen.com
for 4 servings
- 1 water, or cooking oil
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1-in (2-cm) cubes
- 1 water, or vegetable broth, as needed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (115 g)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (30 g)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- Calories 307
- Fat 5g
- Carbs 52g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add cooking oil or water and eggplant. Cook until eggplant begins to brown, stirring occasionally and adding water or vegetable broth as needed. Transfer to a blender or food processor.
- To the same skillet, add more oil or water and the onion and celery. Cook until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant. Transfer to the food processor with the eggplant.
- Pulse the food processor until the eggplant mixture is mostly combined, but still chunky. Transfer to a large bowl.
- To the bowl, add the breadcrumbs, parmesan, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper and combinel. Add the egg and mix until a dough forms.
- Use your hands to form 1-inch (2-cm) balls from the eggplant mixture. Place in rows on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden, flipping halfway.