87% would make again
Chickpea Garlic “Meat”balls
featured in Meatless Meatballs 4 Ways
Inspired by thecheerfulkitchen.com
for 4 servings
- water, or cooking oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 15.5 oz chickpeas (440 g), 1 can, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (60 g)
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 egg
- Calories 321
- Fat 5g
- Carbs 52g
- Fiber 11g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 15g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a skillet over medium heat, add cooking oil or water and onions. Cook until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant. Transfer to a blender or food processor.
- To the food processor, add the chickpeas, breadcrumbs, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and egg. Pulse until a dough forms.
- Use your hands to form 1-inch (2-cm) balls from the chickpea mixture. Place in rows on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden, flipping halfway.