94% would make again
featured in Afternoon Tea Party for 4
for 6 scones
- 3 ½ cups self-raising flour (450 g)
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups milk (250 mL)
- 1 egg yolk
- jam, as needed
- clotted cream, as needed
- Calories 366
- Fat 10g
- Carbs 57g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F (220˚C).
- In a large bowl, rub together the self-raising flour and cubed butter until you form fine crumbs.
- Mix in the sugar, baking powder, and salt, and make a well in the middle.
- Pour in the milk and gently mix together until just combined.
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about a minute. Be careful not to over-knead the dough.
- Using a round cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut circles into the dough that are about 1-2 inches thick.
- Place onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and coat the tops of the scones with the egg yolk.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Serve with clotted cream and jam.