84% would make again
General Tso’s Tempeh
featured in Meatless Recipes That Carnivores Will Love
Inspired by breastcancermaven.com
for 4 servings
- 16 oz tempeh (455 g)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (30 g)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced, divided
- 4 teaspoons ginger, grated, divided
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- ¼ cup oil (60 mL)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup vegetable broth (60 mL)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- sesame seed, optional, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Calories 531
- Fat 36g
- Carbs 32g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 23g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Chop the tempeh into chicken nugget-sized pieces and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the cornstarch, paprika, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, rice wine, and soy sauce to the bowl. Mix until incorporated. Cover and chill in fridge for 1 hour minimum.
- Add oil to a pan on medium-high heat and pan-fry tempeh until browned on both sides. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, add in oil and sesame oil on medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes, and cook until golden brown and aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste and vegetable broth, and stir until incorporated.
- Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and honey, and stir until all are incorporated.
- Add the cornstarch slurry (mix the cornstarch with the water in a small bowl until paste forms) into sauce mixture and stir until sauce thickens.
- Return the tempeh to the pan and allow to incorporate with the sauce. Top with sesame seeds (optional).