Gingersnap Nanaimo Bars
featured in Canadian Chocolate Bars Four Ways
These gingersnap Nanaimo bars are the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. The warming flavors of gingersnap mixed with creamy filling and a chocolate crust make for a deliciously unique treat.
May 05, 2023
for 9 bars
- ½ cup butter (115 g)
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs (105 g)
- 1 cup sliced almond (70 g), finely chopped
- ½ cup flaked coconut (35 g)
- ½ cup butter (115 g), softened
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (240 g)
- 1 cup gingersnap crumb (115 g)
- 6 oz chocolate (170 g)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup coarse gingersnap crumb (65 g), to garnish
- Calories 754
- Fat 48g
- Carbs 75g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 50g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl set over a medium pot of boiling water, melt the butter, cocoa powder, and sugar together.
- Add the egg and keep stirring for a minute until the mix thickens.
- Remove the bowl from the heat.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, almonds, and coconut flakes.
- Mix well, then pour into an 8x8 inch (20x20 cm) pan and flatten to an even layer.
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter, custard powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and heavy cream together until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and gingersnap crumbs and mix until smooth.
- Spread mixture on top of the crust and in an even layer.
- Make the ganache: in a medium bowl set over a medium pot of boiling water, slowly melt the chocolate and the butter.
- Let the ganache cool a bit, then pour it over the gingersnap layer.
- Chill the bars for at least 3 hours.
- Cut the bars into 9 even squares and sprinkle with coarse gingersnap crumbs.