Gingersnap Nanaimo Bars
featured in Canadian Chocolate Bars Four Ways
for 9 bars
- ½ cup butter (115 g)
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs (105 g)
- 1 cup sliced almond (70 g), finely chopped
- ½ cup flaked coconut (35 g)
- ½ cup butter (115 g), softened
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (240 g)
- 1 cup gingersnap crumb (115 g)
- 6 oz chocolate (170 g)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup coarse gingersnap crumb (65 g), to garnish
- Calories 754
- Fat 48g
- Carbs 75g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 50g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl set over a medium pot of boiling water, melt the butter, cocoa powder, and sugar together.
- Add the egg and keep stirring for a minute until the mix thickens.
- Remove the bowl from the heat.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, almonds, and coconut flakes.
- Mix well, then pour into an 8x8 inch (20x20 cm) pan and flatten to an even layer.
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter, custard powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and heavy cream together until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and gingersnap crumbs and mix until smooth.
- Spread mixture on top of the crust and in an even layer.
- Make the ganache: in a medium bowl set over a medium pot of boiling water, slowly melt the chocolate and the butter.
- Let the ganache cool a bit, then pour it over the gingersnap layer.
- Chill the bars for at least 3 hours.
- Cut the bars into 9 even squares and sprinkle with coarse gingersnap crumbs.