88% would make again
Mocha Nanaimo Bars
featured in Canadian Chocolate Bars Four Ways
for 9 bars
- ½ cup butter (115 g)
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder, you can add 1 tbsp of instant coffee if you want a stronger mocha flavor
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs (105 g)
- 1 cup sliced almond (140 g), chopped
- ½ cup flaked coconut (50 g)
- ½ cup butter (115 g), softened
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 5 teaspoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 cups powdered sugar (240 g)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 oz chocolate (170 g)
- cocoa powder, to garnish
- Calories 663
- Fat 41g
- Carbs 69g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 51g
- Protein 7g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a bain-marie, melt the butter, sugar, and cocoa powder.
- Stir in the egg and keep stirring for a minute until the mix thickens.
- Remove the bowl from heat.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, the almonds (chopped finely), and the coconut flakes.
- When well mixed, pour into an 8x8 inch (20x20 cm) pan and flatten until you get an even layer.
- Cream the custard powder, softened butter, cream, and instant coffee until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture on top of the crust and spread it until you get an even layer.
- In a bain marie, slowly melt the chocolate and the butter.
- Cool it down a little bit then pour it over middle layer.
- Chill the bars for at least 3 hours.
- Cut them into 9 even squares and sprinkle each one with cocoa powder.