94% would make again
featured in 10 Crunchy And Delicious Potato Snacks
for 25 latkes
- ¾ medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- ¼ cup all purpose flour (30 g)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup cinnamon applesauce (225 g), for serving
- sour cream, for serving
- Calories 56
- Fat 1g
- Carbs 9g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 1g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Using a food processor fitted with a grater blade or the large holes of a box grater, grate the onion. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Grate the potatoes in the food processor or on a box grater.
- Line a large bowl with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze the excess liquid from the potatoes into the bowl. Drain the liquid, then add the potatoes to the bowl, along with the grated onion, and toss to combine.
- Add the flour, salt, and eggs and stir to combine.
- Heat 2 inches (5 cm) of vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat until it reaches 350˚F (180˚C).
- Dollop about ¼ cup (30 G) of the latke mixture at a time into the hot oil and spread to make pancakes, about 3 inches in diameter. Do not overcrowd the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and fry until the latkes are browned on the bottom and the edges are crispy, 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for about 5 minutes more, until browned and crispy. Transfer the latkes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the latkes with cinnamon applesauce and sour cream.