89% would make again
Puff Pastry Breakfast Cups
featured in The Most Delicious Breakfast Recipes Of The Year
June 10, 2019
for 6 servings
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- ¼ cup water (60 mL)
- 6 eggs
- egg wash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 8 strips bacon, cooked and finely diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g)
- ¼ cup fresh chives (10 g), finely chopped
- Calories 908
- Fat 65g
- Carbs 43g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 37g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Make three vertical cuts from top to bottom of each puff pastry sheet. The cuts should be about 2.5-inches (6-cm) apart. Repeat horizontally to make 18 squares.
- Brush a square pastry lightly with water then place another square on top of it. Cut off any uneven edges. Repeat with the remaining squares.
- Place the square pairs about 1-inch apart on a baking sheet, and brush the top of each with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is a pale golden color. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a large pan, combine olive oil, peppers, salt and pepper. Cook for 8 minutes or until the peppers have softened.
- Cut a rectangle in the middle of each square puff pastry and push it down. Fill the inside of the puff with a thin layer of bacon, cheddar cheese, and peppers. Use a small spoon or utensil to push the layers down. Carefully crack an egg on top.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until egg white is no longer translucent or runny.
- Serve with pepper and chives.