Sausage Cornbread Dressing
Chef Ayo Cherry upgrades a box of cornbread stuffing with spicy sausage, aromatics, and of course, butter to create a southern-style Thanksgiving dressing.
for 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz spicy pork sausage (225 g), casings removed
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 box cornbread mix
- 1 ½ cups boiling water (360 mL)
- ½ unsalted butter, melted
- Calories 311
- Fat 22g
- Carbs 18g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up into small pieces, until no longer pink, 7–8 minutes.
- Add the celery, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cornbread stuffing and toss to combine. Pour the boiling water and melted butter over the stuffing mix.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes, until all of the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, then transfer to a small casserole dish.
- Turn the broiler to high.
- Broil the dressing for 1–2 minutes, until browned and crispy on top.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.