Seared Salmon With Smoky Squash Salad
This dish is the catch of the day! Delectably seared salmon is served alongside a smoky and savory squash salad. It's a light and refreshing meal that's as beautiful to look at as it is delicious to eat.
for 12 servings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup maple syrup (85 g)
- ¼ cup lemon juice (60 mL)
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 6 oz salmon fillet (170 g), 6 fillets, skin on, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Smoky Squash Salad
- 15 oz chickpeas (425 g), 2 cans, drained, rinsed and dried
- ½ cup olive oil (120 mL), divided
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup tahini (120 mL)
- ¼ cup maple syrup (85 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup lemon juice (120 mL)
- 1 lb kale (455 g), stemmed and sliced
- 2 cups barley (400 g), cooked
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped pecans (60 g), toasted
- Calories 492
- Fat 22g
- Carbs 63g
- Fiber 12g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 13g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, maple syrup, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Brush the marinade over the salmon fillets. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the smoked paprika, turmeric, pepper, cumin, salt, cayenne, and cinnamon. Toss to combine. Set aside.
- Add the butternut squash and sweet potatoes to a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake for 1 hour, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Pour the spiced chickpeas onto a second sheet pan and spread out into an even layer. Toss to coat. Bake for 40 minutes, or until chickpeas are browned and crispy.
- In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, combine the tahini, maple syrup, garlic, lemon juice, remaining ¼ cup of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk well.
- In a large bowl, add the chopped kale, roasted squash and sweet potatoes, barley, roasted chickpeas, shallot, pecans, and tahini dressing. Toss to combine.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. In batches, sear the salmon skin-side down for 3 minutes, then flip and cook on the other side for 3 minutes.
- Arrange the salad on a platter and top with the seared salmon.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.