95% would make again
Shortbread Jam Squares
June 10, 2019
for 9 squares
- ½ cup butter (125 g)
- ¼ cup caster sugar (50 g)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups plain flour (350 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¼ cups blackcurrant jam (400 g)
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Calories 354
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 50g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 20g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F).
- In a bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar until combined.
- Whisk in the egg, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the baking powder and 250 grams (2 cups) of the flour with a spoon until combined.
- Bring the mixture together using your hands to make a dough.
- Spray a 23 centimeter (9 inch) square baking tray with cooking oil. Spread out half of the dough on the tray.
- Prick the dough with a fork to prevent bubbles from forming while baking.
- Spread the blackcurrant jam on top.
- With the remaining dough, mix in the remaining flour and rub with your fingers to make a crumb like texture.
- Sprinkle the crumbs on top of the jam.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Leave to cool for around 20 minutes, the jam will be hot!
- Sieve icing sugar on top.
- Cut into squares.