Spicy Fried Cauliflower “Chicken”
featured in For Spice Lovers Only
Spicy cauliflower florets are deep fried until golden brown and crispy. Serve with a cooling yogurt sauce for a flavorful vegan twist on fried chicken.
May 04, 2023
95% would make again
for 4 servings
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (125 g)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, or arrowroot powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika, or smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup hot sauce (105 g)
- ¼ cup plain unsweetened soy milk (60 mL), or other non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 5 cups safflower oil (1.2 L), or neutral oil, for frying
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, arrowroot powder, salt, cayenne, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, Old Bay seasoning, and nutritional yeast.
- In another medium bowl, combine the hot sauce, soy milk, and Dijon mustard and whisk until creamy.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the oil to 350°F (180°C). Double-line a large plate with paper towels and keep nearby.
- Use one hand to dip a cauliflower floret into the wet mixture, then drop it into the flour mixture. Use your dry hand to coat it completely. Dip it back into the wet mixture and again in the dry mixture, keeping one hand devoted to wet and one to dry.
- Carefully lower the twice-coated floret into the hot oil. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower until you can’t fit any more into the pot. Do not overcrowd. Fry for 4-5 minutes, until the pieces are golden. Transfer the fried cauliflower to the lined plate and continue to fry the remaining cauliflower. Serve hot.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.