Sweet And Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
This casserole is the ultimate sweet potato indulgence! With a sweet and savory topping of crunchy pecans and gooey marshmallows, it's a dish that's sure to be a hit. It's like dessert and dinner rolled into one.
for 12 servings
Sweet Potato Base
- 6 lb sweet potato (2.7 g), peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup unsalted butter (115 g), 1 stick, room temperature
- 1 cup milk (240 mL)
- 3 large eggs
- 6 raw sweet potatoes, 2-inch (5-cm) square slices
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar (55 g)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup crushed pecans (60 g)
- 20 large marshmallows, halved crosswise
- 1 cup bread crumbs (115 g)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup bacon bits (55 g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- green onion, sliced, for garnish
- Calories 602
- Fat 15g
- Carbs 102g
- Fiber 36g
- Sugar 40g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes and 1 tablespoon of salt to a large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes, or until very tender. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to a large bowl. Add the butter, remaining tablespoon of salt, the milk, and eggs. Mix with an electric hand mixer until the potatoes are mashed and everything is well incorporated.
- Transfer half of the sweet potatoes to another large bowl.
- Make the sweet base: To a bowl, add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- Make the savory base: To the other bowl, add the green onions, garlic, and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Spread the sweet base in one side of a 9x13-inch (23x33-cm) baking dish. Press the uncooked sweet potato slices against the exposed side of the sweet base as a divider, then spread the savory base in the other side of the pan.
- Make the sweet topping: In a small bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, flour, and pecans, and mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over the sweet base.
- Make the savory topping: In another small bowl, combine bread crumbs, salt, pepper, bacon bits, and oil, and stir to combine. Sprinkle the crumbs over the savory base.
- Bake the sweet potato casserole for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the casserole from oven and top the sweet side with the halved marshmallows, cut-side down.
- Return to the oven and broil on high for 1-2 minutes, or until the marshmallows are golden brown and toasted.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle the savory side with green onions.
- Serve warm.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.