Vegan Apple Fritters
Light, fluffy, and filled with fall flavors, these apple fritters are easy as apple pie! You can use any apple of your choice. We prefer Granny Smith apples because they hold their shape during frying, and we love their sweet-tart taste. Top these fritters off with a simple glaze and serve them as a delicious breakfast or dessert.
for 8 servings
- 6 cups canola oil (1.5 L), for frying
- 2 ¾ cups cake flour (345 g)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar (55 g)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk (160 mL), or non-dairy milk of choice
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (60 mL), or non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons margarine, or vegan butter substitute, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar (240 g)
- Heat the canola oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until it reaches 350°F (180°C). Set a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, the nutmeg, allspice, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together ⅔ cup (160 ml) almond milk, the vegetable oil, apple, melted margarine, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Working in batches, scoop the batter in ¼-cup (60 ml) increments into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through, 4–5 minutes. Transfer the fritters to the wire rack with a slotted spoon and let cool.
- Meanwhile, add the powdered sugar, remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) almond milk to a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the fritters and let set for 5 minutes before serving.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.