for 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion (150 g)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (100 g)
- ½ cup diced carrots (75 g)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb mild sausage, casings removed
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes (420 g)
- 16 oz Bush’s® Original Baked Beans (450 g)
Cheddar Scallion Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 g)
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (100 g)
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions (20 g)
- ¾ cup buttermilk (180 mL)
- Calories 599
- Fat 37g
- Carbs 44g
- Fiber 13g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 22g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Make the filling: Heat the olive oil in a large, high-walled skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and carrot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and black pepper and cook for another minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the sausage, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until browned, 5–7 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard powder, paprika, crushed tomatoes, and Bush’s® Original Baked Beans.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the bean filling to an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Make the biscuit dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or two forks until broken down into pea-sized pieces. Gently stir in the cheddar cheese and scallions with a rubber spatula.
- Slowly pour in the buttermilk and gently stir until the dough just comes together.
- Divide the biscuit dough into 9 portions and shape each into a disc. Arrange the biscuits on top of the bean filling.
- Bake the pot pie for 35–40 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbling.