for 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ½ cup onion (75 g), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 28 oz crushed tomato (795 g), 1 can
- ¼ cup fresh basil (10 g), sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (230 g)
- 1 ¼ lb cheese tortellini (565 g), cooked and drained
- Calories 471
- Fat 19g
- Carbs 42g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 30g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a heavy saucepan and brown the beef over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the dried herbs. Move beef to one side of the hot pan and add in onions. Stir to soften, then add garlic.
- Mix in crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon a thin layer of meat sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. Layer as follows: tortellini, cheese, basil, sauce, tortellini, cheese, basil, sauce, and cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Cool for several minutes and serve.