Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Cups
These lettuce cups are a healthier twist on classic buffalo chicken wings. Tender shredded chicken is coated in spicy buffalo sauce, then served in crisp lettuce cups with blue cheese dressing and chopped celery. Perfect for game day or a party appetizer.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 4 servings
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorn
- ½ medium white onion, halved
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, divided, 4 whole and 1 minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups water (1.4 L)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup hot sauce (195 g)
- ½ cup chicken broth (120 mL)
- 4 large leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 carrot, shredded
- ½ cup blue cheese dressing (125 g)
- Calories 473
- Fat 23g
- Carbs 13g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 52g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Place chicken breasts, 2 teaspoons of salt, peppercorns, onion quarters, garlic cloves, bay leaves, and water in a large pot.
- Cover the pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once the water is simmering, cook for 10 minutes, until the chicken registers 165°F (74°C) when pierced with an instant-read thermometer.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and reserve at least ½ cup (120 ml) of the cooking liquid to use as chicken broth . Using 2 forks, pull the chicken apart until shredded.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the diced onion, diced celery, and a pinch of salt. Sauté until the vegetables have softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the hot sauce and chicken broth. Stir until the liquid has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the chicken cool for 5 minutes before spooning into the lettuce leaves.
- Top with shredded carrots, sliced celery, and bleu cheese dressing.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.