94% would make again
Chicken Taco Lettuce Cups
featured in Chicken Lettuce Cups 4 Ways
Inspired by thetaylor-house.com
for 4 servings
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorn
- ½ medium white onion, halved
- 6 cloves garlic, divided, 4 whole and 2 minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups water (1.4 L)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ cup chicken broth (180 mL)
- 4 large leaves romaine lettuce
- ½ cup shredded mexican cheese blend (50 g)
- 1 tomato, diced
Nutrition InfoPowered by
- Calories 416
- Fat 25g
- Carbs 18g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 27g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Place the chicken breasts, salt, peppercorns, onion, whole garlic cloves, bay leaves, and water in a large pot.
- Cover the pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once the water is simmering, cook for 10 minutes, until the chicken registers 165°F (74°C) when pierced with an instant-read thermometer.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and reserve at least ¾ cup (180 ml) of the cooking liquid to use as broth. Using 2 forks, pull the chicken apart until shredded.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the minced garlic, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and oregano. Sauté until the oil is bubbling and very fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and stir until the liquid has reduced and thickened slightly, about 7 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the chicken cool for 5 minutes before spooning into the lettuce leaves.
- Top with shredded cheese and diced tomatoes