A savory side dish typically served at Thanksgiving that combines cornbread with herbs, vegetables, and chicken or turkey broth to create a flavorful stuffing.
for 10 servings
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (55 g), melted
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (140 g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (120 g)
- 1 cup buttermilk (240 mL)
- ½ cup corn kernel (85 g)
- ¼ cup honey (85 g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 box cornbread mix, optional if you do not want to do Tia's cornbread, prepared according to box instructions, and cut into cubes.
- 4 cups white bread (140 g), we used an Italian loaf, cubed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- ½ head fennel head, diced
- salt, to taste
- 2 green apples, peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 lb Italian sausage (455 g), casing removed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (10 g), minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage
- 3 cups chicken broth (720 mL), or chicken stock
- Calories 506
- Fat 26g
- Carbs 54g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 16g
- Protein 16g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- First, make Tia’s Cornbread at least one day before serving the stuffing.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Generously grease a 9-inch (23 cm) baking pan with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk, corn, honey and eggs. Using a rubber spatula, add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool for at least 1 hour, then cut into 1-inch cubes for the stuffing.
- For the stuffing, start by cutting the cornbread into cubes.
- Spread 4 cups of white bread cubes and 4 cups of the cornbread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and leave out overnight to dry out.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch (33x23x2 cm) baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Transfer the bread cubes to a large bowl.
- In a large sauté pan set over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the onion, garlic, celery, fennel and sprinkle with the salt and cook until the vegetables are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mixture to the bowl of bread and mix.
- In the same sauté pan, add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and let brown for 30 seconds. Add the apples and nutmeg and sauté until the apples are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the apples to the bread bowl and mix.
- Add the sausage to the pan and cook, breaking it up as it browns, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage to the bread bowl and mix.
- Mix in the parsley and sage.
- Transfer the bread mixture to the buttered baking dish.
- Pour the chicken stock around the edges of the baking dish.
- Put the baking dish on the middle oven rack and bake at 400°F (200°C), uncovered for 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.