Haile Thomas's “Perfect Pesto Pizza With Sweet Potato Crust”
This delicious and gluten-free pizza features a homemade sweet potato crust topped with fresh pesto, mozzarella cheese, and colorful vegetables. It's a perfect way to enjoy pizza night while still getting your daily dose of veggies.
for 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 4 tablespoons water
Sweet Potato Crust
- 3 sweet potatoes, medium/large, cooked and mashed
- 1 ¾ cups almond flour (170 g)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ cup cashews (75 g)
- ½ cup pistachio (50 g)
- 1 cup fresh basil (25 g)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (25 g)
- 2 cups spinach (85 g)
- 1 lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup olive oil (115 g)
- bell pepper, sliced
- cherry tomato, sliced
- red onion, thinly sliced
- fresh arugula
- Calories 563
- Fat 41g
- Carbs 42g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a 17-inch round or a 18x26-inch (45x66-cm) rectangular metal tray with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flaxseed and water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed sweet potato, almond flour, flax egg, salt, pepper, dried rosemary, and additional flaxseed. The mixture will be thick and pasty.
- Spread the mixture onto the tray and flatten slightly. Place the sweet potato crust in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the edges are crisp and golden.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the pesto. Add cashews, pistachios, fresh basil, cilantro, spinach, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic cloves, and olive oil to a food processor and process until mostly smooth with a bit of texture.
- When the pizza crust is done baking, spread the pesto on top, then cover with bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and red onions.
- Return the pizza to the oven and bake for 5 minutes more. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Top with arugala.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.