97% would make again
Sweet Potato And Chickpea Salad
featured in 5 Ways To Make Chickpea Taste Delicious
June 10, 2019
for 4 servings
- 2 large sweet potatoes, or 3 small, scrubbed
- ½ medium red onion
- 15 oz chickpeas (425 g), 1 can, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup olive oil (120 mL)
- ¼ cup lemon juice (60 mL)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 oz mixed greens (85 g)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (10 g), chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (10 g), chopped
- dried cranberry, for garnish, optional
- Calories 548
- Fat 29g
- Carbs 61g
- Fiber 13g
- Sugar 15g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
- Cut the sweet potatoes in small cubes and transfer on one half of a non-stick baking sheet.
- Peel and slice the onion and set aside.
- Add the chickpeas to the other half of the baking sheet.
- In a liquid measuring cup with a pour spout, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Pour half of the dressing over the sweet potatoes and chickpeas and mix with your hands until well-coated. Keep the chickpeas and sweet potatoes separated as much as possible.
- Scoot the chickpeas toward the sweet potatoes and add the onions to the baking sheet. Make sure everything is spread out evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Use tongs to stir halfway through. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Place the greens in a large bowl. Top with the roasted chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and onion.
- Add the parsley, cilantro, and remaining dressing and toss to combine.
- Top with dried cranberries, if using.